Commercial moves happen for a multitude of reasons: an increase in rent, a need for more space, a more central location, or the decision to build your dream office. Whatever the reason, all commercial moves require organization and careful planning to ensure business continues as usual at the company’s new address. While some of the specifics depend on business size and industry, here is a checklist for corporate moves to get you moving in the right direction.
1 month before the move:
- Start with the phone. Is there anything more important than making sure customers and clients can reach you? We all know how frustrating it is to feel ignored by a business. Prioritize this very important part of your business from the very beginning of your moving process. Some companies can simply port your number over to the new location, but if you’re considering a move across town, your office phone number may not fall into the correct grid pattern, which can cause serious complications. If you find yourself in that predicament, consider transferring the number over to a cell phone provider who will then forward it to your new location for a small monthly fee. Alternately, you can contact a VoIP (voice over IP) service such as Fonality to act as an umbrella organizational system for all of your company’s unified communications.
- Get moving quotes. Hand the reigns over to professionals, and choose a quality mover for your commercial relocation.
- Notify employees. In most scenarios, it’s wise to go ahead and notify your employees of the upcoming move. Be ready to answer questions regarding commutes and offer solutions for any employees that may feel an extra hardship in the first few days at the new office. For example, a family-oriented employee adding an extra 20 minutes to their commute may benefit from more flexible hours while they make any necessary childcare adjustments.
- Choose your moving day wisely. Consider moving on a Friday, and enlist extra help to get the new office organized over the weekend.
2 weeks before the move:
- Arrange for utilities. Make sure any water, gas, electric, or internet service is ready for moving day.
- Order updated marketing materials. Update and reorder business cards. Evaluate your other marketing collateral and decide if a simple sticker will help you make the most of your remaining inventory or if you need an entirely new order for the new office.
- Notify your vendors and partners. From the bank to the photocopy repair company, make sure the people who help you do business are well-informed.
1 week before the move:
- Begin packing. The larger your business, the earlier you will want to start packing. At a minimum, plan to spend a week on this step. Start with extra office supplies, older files, and other items that aren’t essential to your daily operation. Stock the break room with moving supplies, and remind employees to make time to pack their things. Save important items like computers, printers, and desks for the day prior to the move.
- Label, label, label. Know where to find what you need, and coordinate various departments with colored paper or tape to make it easy for every box to find the correct home. Visit your new business location, and label each department clearly for moving day.
- Notify your customers. Consider sending an email or postcard to your larger client list, but make sure to follow up with a phone call for any clients who will be visiting the office shortly after the move. In addition, you may even want to schedule a celebratory party at the new office!
- Forward your mail. Make sure the post office knows where to find you!
- Claim any elevators or loading docks. Remind the building’s tenants and managers that moving day is almost here.
The day of the move:
- Leave someone behind. The final task on our checklist for corporate moves is to set up a temporary desk with a phone and laptop at your original office just in case there are any problems with forwarding the phones or any clients show up unexpectedly.
Remember, while most businesses will only relocate once in a blue moon, we assist with corporate moves every day. This checklist for corporate moves is just the beginning of the help we can offer. So, if you have questions, we are here to help! Contact us today.